Monday, April 23, 2012

Week 38: Sister Hernandez Joins the Church

Hello, everyone!


This week has been so good!


On Friday, Sister Hernandez got baptized! I'll include a picture (she bought the ties that we're wearing for us to thank us for teaching her). The service was really powerful. Bro. Hernandez baptized her, and he was pretty nervous beforehand. He told us that when it was time for him to perform the ordinance, he completely forgot the words he was supposed to say. But when he raised his arm to perform the baptism and opened his mouth, he suddenly remembered what he needed to say and he spoke the prayer perfectly and did a great job baptizing his wife. I know that the Spirit helped him to do that:


"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you" (John 14:26).


After the baptism, Sis. Hernandez bore a beautiful, simple, and powerful testimony. She has such amazing faith and it was hard for me to remember that she wasn't even a member of the Church yet. She has learned so much and has such a great testimony that it seems like she's known the restored gospel to be true for a long time now.






On Sunday, I had the opportunity of confirming her a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and giving her the gift of the Holy Ghost. I was grateful that she asked me to do it, but even more so that she now has that wonderful gift, the greatest of all gifts that we can receive during our mortal lives on earth.


There is nothing more wonderful than the feelings you feel as someone God helped you find learns the gospel of Jesus Christ from your own mouth then progresses in miraculous ways to join the Lord's church. There's something amazing about watching someone through that entire process. This was my first time seeing it happen. I think I have felt a tiny degree of what Heavenly Father feels when one of His children come unto Him when I think about how it has been to find, teach, and baptize Sis. Hernandez.


I know that the gospel of Jesus Christ was lost but is now restored. What a blessing!


I hope you are all doing great! I love you, miss you, and hope to hear from you soon!


With love,
Elder Schank