Monday, April 30, 2012

Week 39: Quick update

Spring is warm here. It's gotten above 90F a few times since the end of March. Usually it's pretty warm and you can already see the haze of humidity in the air. Fun times. I'm just glad that we're in that nice, in-between period of time where we don't have to wear suits but it's not so warm/humid that I go through more than one handkerchief in 4 hours.
We had an interesting lesson in church yesterday.  Our bishop led a slideshow to teach people about how to answer questions about our religion when confronted by those not of our faith. It answered (with the official words of the Church) answers to questions like "Are you Christian? Do you practice polygamy? Are you racist? Why can't you drink coffee? and Do you really believe that you'll get your own planet someday?" It was pretty nerve-racking for me because we had an investigator there, but she really liked it and didn't seem phased at all. It was good because the Church is getting a ton of publicity because of recent political things (a lot of which I'm very unfamiliar with, being cut off from access to the news and all), but also because a less-active member of our ward is running for NC governor, and one of the amendments being considered is the definition of marriage. Turns out that he felt prompted to come to Church yesterday, the Spirit taught him what he needed to hear in sacrament meeting and the 3rd hour of church, and we were able to meet him and teach him later in the day. Pretty neat.
We recently got to train ward mission leaders and bishops/branch presidents with the stake high councilor over missionary work and it went really well. The Book of Mormon reading companion program is finally over as of today. If you don't remember, the program was to assign a member to be a reading companion for an investigator to see if the Book of Mormon helps with conversion and retention. I know for a fact that it does, but we've only had about 5 readings take place in the last 2 months with 14 investigators involved. It just makes me a little upset to see a potentially amazing and work-changing program go to waste because it didn't have enough fuel. But oh well. We did our best and that's all we have control over. This experience has really made me realize how much of an effect I have on others when I don't magnify my calling. My whole missionary has taught me that. For example, if everyone did their home and visiting teaching each week, I bet that the 50% of our ward that's inactive would be more like a 5 or 10%. I'm not saying that the members here are horrible or lazy or anything; I know that we all have struggles and that it can be really hard to make time for things that aren't always on our minds. I am just as flawed. But it's really helped me realize how very important it is that no matter what calling we receive, we've got to magnify it to the best of our abilities. I hope that's something I always remember as I move on to life after the mission.
Have a great week.
With love,


Elder Schank/Ken