Monday, December 12, 2011

Episode 19: Elder Schank Goes to the Lab

Hi there, friends and family!
We're not making too much progress here on my back. I was prescribed a series of corticosteroids to take a little bit of the edge off of the pain while I'm waiting for a solution to "the issue". On Tuesday I finally got to go to the lab to get a blood test to look for rheumatoid arthritis. Supposedly I'll be informed of the results later today.

Greenville, NC in the middle of December. Our ward members are talking about how cold it is, now that the temperature has dropped all the way to the mid-50s. That makes me laugh a little bit.
We've been to the hospital a TON lately, but not for me. We've gone to give a priesthood blessing to at least four different people, and we've made visits at least 5 times. I guess that's what happens when one of the biggest hospitals on the east side of the state is in your proselyting area! :) There have been a lot of great experiences in that building, and I'm starting to associate the smell of olive oil with hospitals.

Ah, The Pitt County Memorial Hospital.  I almost don't even need a map anymore.  It's a good thing that clergy parking is free!
 It's been a tough week. Virgil dropped us. It's something I really don't understand. It's not because he doesn't want to change; that was part of why he wanted us to teach him in the first place. He wants to continue to live the Word of Wisdom even now that he doesn't want to get baptized anymore. He knows that the message of the Restoration---including the Book of Mormon---is true. He now knows how to recognize the Spirit, and he tells us that the only time he's ever felt the Spirit in his life has been when he has come to church with us or when we have taught him the gospel. He says he's never been happier. I know that he has a testimony of this message and that he has been severely blessed by it's introduction into his life. We have literally seen a physical change in his countenance as he has progressed towards baptism... and we've seen that change reverse has he's digressed. In our last prayer with him, he even prayed to Heavenly Father that He wouldn't get mad at him for not being baptized into the Church. He knows that it's true and that he should do it, but there's just SOMETHING that we haven't nailed down that keeps him from wanting to join the church in which he has gained a testimony. We've tried over and over again in the most loving of ways to explain that if he knows that the Book of Mormon is true, then that means that Joseph Smith was a Prophet called of God; and if Joseph Smith was a Prophet of God then that means that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the true church and the one that he needs to join. But something isn't clicking I guess. It's depressing and heartbreaking, seeing someone I love so much---and knowing all the happiness and peace that they could have and don't---be so close to finding what he's looking for and then quitting the race in the last lap. He says if he doesn't feel the Spirit at his new nondenominational church, he will know that ours is the one he needs to join---and I know that he will never feel the Spirit as strong there as he did when he was learning the true message of Christ's restored gospel, so I'm not too worried about it---but it still is very painful for me. I love Virgil so much... I just want him to have the peace, relief, and joy that I know he will gain when he makes the authorized covenants with God that can only be made in Christ's church. There is still hope, though. I am sure he will be baptized one day... but why delay those wonderful blessings?
Well, I hope that y'all (Yep, I said it!) are doing well and that Christmastime is a season of peace, not stress, for you. That we will all remember the true meaning of Christmas is my prayer for each of us.
I love you all very much! I would love to hear how you are doing! A letter from you (yes, you!) would be the greatest Christmas present ever.

With lots of love,
Elder Schank