Dear Friends & Family,
This week has been interesting, for sure.
First of all, we had the opportunity to teach Andrea again. It went SO well! We taught her about where we came from and why we're here on earth (the first 2/3 of The Plan of Salvation), and the commandment of the Word of Wisdom. She committed to live the Word of Wisdom, even though she really likes her sweet tea! (Sweet tea is, like, THE thing here in the south. Everybody drinks it.) She is the most prepared, most ready, and most solid of any investigators I have met thus far on my mission. We love her to death.
She came to church again and loved it. During the last hour of our ward's church meetings, I was asked by the young single adult branch to play the piano for their sacrament meeting, so I did. It brought back memories of good times in the young single adult ward I was a part of in college: how much I was strengthened by my outstanding peers and how much their love and support had blessed my life.
During our study time after church, I was thinking about Andrea and what we can do to help her the most. The answer came, but I wasn't happy about it. I felt strongly that we should turn her over to the sister missionaries to teach. The way that the missions are set up here, we (the Greenville 2nd elders) are supposed to teach everyone in our ward boundaries, the Greenville 1st ward elders are supposed to teach those in their ward boundaries, and the sister missionaries are supposed to teach people living in assigned parts of each of our wards, as well as the young single adults, ages 18-30. Well, Andrea is in our ward boundaries, but she is 20 years old. I knew that she would benefit most from attending the youngs single adult branch so she could meet people of her own age, in her own stage of life, but that would mean we would stop teaching her and turn her over to the sisters. I knew what we had to do, and I knew I didn't want to do it. As I continued to mull this over in my mind, I remembered the words of Brigham Young, who said to one of his prideful friends, "Whose kingdom are you trying to build? the Lord's, or [your own]?" I began to feel foolish and selfish! The work isn't about me, it's about bringing others to Christ and helping them! Peace came as I remembered and inwardly expressed gratitude for the even stronger words of our very own Savior: "Father, thy will be done, and the glory be thine forever" (Moses 4:2). As Elder Peck and I came together for companion study, we discussed whether or not we should continue to teach her or let the sisters take over. With a little reluctance, but knowing that we were doing what was right, we agreed to turn her over to the sisters. I am so grateful for the perfect example of Jesus Christ in all things!
We have also had the pleasure of working with another investigator, Virgil. We met with him on Tuesday, and he was so close to "dropping" us... he's been investigating other churches for a while (which is fine with us---how is he going to find the true church if he doesn't have an open heart and mind?) and it sounded like he was going to tell us that he didn't want us to meet with him anymore. But, we talked things over and he agreed to let us keep meeting with him. On Friday night, we went to his house to read with him from the Book of Mormon in 2 Nephi 32. He is learning how to read; it took us about half an hour to read through and explain the 9-verse chapter to him. We talked about the importance of scripture study and prayer; Elder Peck began to also talk about eternal families. I was slightly confused---it kind of had nothing really to do with what we were talking about at all. But as we continued to teach him about how families can be together forever, he began to be emotional. He told us that before we arrived at his house, he was really nervous. We could tell... his hands were shaky and it was difficult for him to maneuver his wheelchair when we arrived. But, he explained, after we finished the prayer and began to read, he felt comforted and peaceful, though he didn't understand why. We testified to him, with smiles on our faces, that he was experiencing a growing testimony, that the Holy Ghost was teaching him that what we were teaching him is true. He asked that we continue to come and help him learn how to read from the Book of Mormon and teach him what it says every Tuesday and Thursday!
He came to church on Sunday, as well. It was kind of a miracle getting him there. It just so happens that there is an active non-member in our ward (yeah, I don't get it either) who has a van with a wheelchair lift on it, and he was willing to come with us to pick up Virgil for church. Virgil loved it... he said he felt that peaceful, comforting feeling again. We continually help him to recognize the Spirit when he feels it.
I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true. I love it so much. I can't think of anything in the entire world, all-inclusive, that has brought me more joy than the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
P.S. We also found two new investigators.
P.P.S. Please write me! That would just be awesome!
P.P.S. Please write me! That would just be awesome!
With love,
Elder Schank