Monday, August 20, 2012

Week 55: Surprise Transfer Information

Hello, friends and family!

So we got the news on who is and who isn't getting transferred from our zone on Tuesday. It turns out that I'm staying here in Hope Mills! And I'm super excited about that! I was positive that I was getting transferred because in our mission it's rare that someone will get transferred before or after working in their current area for 4.5-6 months. (But I guess I served in my last area for only 1.5 months, so I probably really shouldn't be as shocked as I am.) What's even rarer, though, is being with the same companion for more than 2 transfers. But of all the companions I could possibly have, who better to go 3 transfers with than the one-and-only Kyle Bruce Simmons?!?! Can't break up the Davis Duo! We're super excited to stick around together, especially because we have so much great stuff going on right now! We have four investigators who will be getting baptized mid-September, and I am SO glad that I can stay and be here for it.

It's going to be an interesting transfer. We're getting another companionship of senior missionaries (Elder and Sister Corbett from Orem, UT) and another companionship of sister missionaries, who will be working in the Hope Mills 1st and 2nd areas. Not only does that make us a 5-companionship district (which is huge) and the largest zone in the mission, but we will also probably have to start sharing investigators and meal appointments with them. I have to admit that I'm not looking forward to that aspect, but I am really excited about having another couple of hands to help convert this city to the restored gospel of Christ, which is way more important than a few more fancy dinners a week, anyway. :)

Alright, and now for the highlight-reel review:

On Tuesday, we had deep-clean day, the first one in a long time. Ugh. It was pretty gross spelunking deep into the bowels of our fridge and whatnot. On the bright side, we did a little rearranging of furniture and the place is less dusty. Plus, Elder Simmons found a Darth Vader toy above the kitchen cabinets. That's always a bonus.

We found out that Steve & Karen's 10-year old daughter, Carlie, wants to get baptized too, which is really exciting. Her little brother, Bubba, turned 4 this week and we were invited over for part of the party. We ate some awesome food (Karen is a master at cooking) and met the extended family, which I think was really good and helped them to feel better about the fact that Steve and Karen are going to join the Church. Steve had to leave for Toronto on Saturday night for some flight training, but before he left he gave his cans of chew to Pres. Hales, a friend of his in our ward, as a sign that he was done with tobacco. When he got to Toronto, he told us that tobacco was $18 a can and there's no way he's going to buy any, so we were super excited about that. With him gone, that left Karen to take all 4 kids to church by herself. Which she did. That was huge! It was so exciting!

We got a referral from the elders over in Greenville (the same ward I used to serve in!) who told us about a less-active young single adult, Nitza, who moved up to Fayetteville into our area and she wanted us to visit her. So we did. And it turns out that she has two younger siblings who are members of the church and a younger 10-year old brother who was never baptized. We found rides for Katrina, Jerome, and Trevaughn to get to church while Nitza went to the YSA branch, and they all really enjoyed themselves. Trevaughn wants to get baptized. Awesome.

Our third investigator we found is a 70+ year old lady named "Kitty". She went out to St. George a few weeks ago to visit her recent convert-sister and got really interested in learning about the Book of Mormon and the restored gospel. We started teaching her this week, too. So we found three new investigators this week!

Yesterday we went to visit David, our investigator with one leg, in the hospital. His knee above the leg that was amputated got infected and swelled up really bad. He's doing alright though, and he actually asked us if we could come by tonight and teach him. I'm looking forward to that.

We also went by two adult less-active new-move-ins. Actually, one of them used to be a member. They are siblings. We taught about the Atonement, and both Jennifer and Chris seemed really touched by the message. Jennifer wants us to come back and teach her more, and they both said they wanted to come to church on Sunday! Since they just moved in and haven't touched their scriptures in a while, they don't know where their copies of the Book of Mormon are. Elder Simmons had given the blank copy he was carrying to David because he didn't bring his to the hospital, and I was packing my personal copy, which is my baby. We've been through everything together! I've invested so much time into marking it up with a specific color-code, and it's worn like an old baseball glove. I figured we could just stop by in a few days to give them a copy, but Jennifer wanted to do some reading that night, and I felt prompted to let her borrow my own copy. I told her that she could borrow my copy (but only if she took reeeeeally good care of it) until we could get her her own. She was really grateful and I felt good about it even though I'm anxious to get it back. I was on a spiritual high all night long after the lesson. It was so powerful, and it was really easy to teach, too. I know that that has nothing to do with my teaching skills, but because we did little else than ask inspired questions, read from the Book of Mormon, promise blessings, and testify of truths. The Spirit that was invited because we didn't get in the way did most of the teaching.

Also, our air conditioner is still broken. I'm super tired because on Saturday night our apartment was 89 degrees and it wouldn't drop. At about 11:30, we moved our mattresses into the front room because it's a little bigger and had our little fan on full blast. By about midnight, we ate a couple Fudgsicles to try to cool off and then probably finally fell asleep around 12:30. It was a long, hot, sticky night. But it's all good. Living in a sauna makes us stronger.

I know that the gospel of Jesus Christ, following His death, had many "plain and precious truths" and His authority removed from it but that those truths and that authority have been restored to the earth again and that His church is once again on the earth. It is organized and founded on prophets and Apostles that receive continual instruction for His people, just like how it was when He was on the earth. The Book of Mormon is the fulfillment of the prophecies that ancient prophets have foretold would bring back those missing truths. Jesus Christ is the Messiah and our Savior and friend. I know that to be true! :)

Hope you all have a great week and I hope to hear from you soon!

With love,
Elder Schank

District Meeting with the Fayetteville District - Sisters Welch, Johnson, Tillman, Elders Brinkerhoff, Young, Simmons, Green, Lambert, me, May