Dear friends and family!
I hope that you are all doing as great as I am! Business is boomin'! We had another great week. Teaching all over the place, going in and out of the hospital to administer priesthood blessings and the sacrament on Sunday, contacting referrals and random people, and loving the work the whole way along. And of course, now it's time for transfers.
Elder Peck got a call from President Cotterell on Friday (the Friday before the end of each transfer is affectionately known my missionaries as "Freaky Friday" for this very reason) to inform him that he was being called as a trainer! I know he will do a great job and that Elder X is in good hands. After Elder Peck and President Cotterell talked a little more, Elder Peck handed the phone to me and President congratulated me on becoming the mission's youngest grandpa. (In mission lingo, you have a "son" if you train someone and that makes you their "father". So I'm Elder Peck's "dad" and Elder X is my "grandson". Man, am I'm aging fast, or what?) President and I talked together about how well Elder Peck would do and how I am dealing with my knees and back (more on that later) for a little while, and then he told me that I have been called by the Lord to fulfill a very "special assignment". I am going to be transferred to a new area that has previously had so much success that the area will be split and two additional missionaries will be called to serve there. My new companion, as I write, I think is probably on an airplane somewhere over the middle of the US. That's right; I've been called as a trainer again and also to "open" or "whitewash" a brand spankin' new area. That should be really fun, really difficult, and really awesome. Elder Y and I are up to the challenge. Elder Peck and I have been praying very hard for Elder X and Elder Y and we are excited to meet them and work with them. Transfer meetings are Tuesday (tomorrow). Elder Westley, my "dad" will be leaving back to Utah; it will be interesting to have 4 generations at that meeting: Elder X, Elder Peck, Elder Schank, and Elder Westley.
It's going to be hard to leave Virgil, Grant, and several other investigators, ward members, and missionaries, but I am excited to be heading off to a new place (I find out exactly where tomorrow, so I'll let you know in a week) and start from scratch... with my area and companion. It's going to be a lot of work, but work is exactly what I'm here to do and I'm super pumped.
Well, I know that this one's really short but I've got to get going! I still have to write my Letter to the Mission President and report on this awesome week that we just had that I've told you pretty much nothing about! Sorry! I'm sure there will be a lot for me to say next week! I'd love to hear from y'all if you've got the chance! A letter would be right nice! :)
I love you all very much. I know that the gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored in its fulness and that the Lord rewards us according to our faithfulness, patience, and hard work. He does with His missionaries, that's for sure! I testify with everything in me that Jesus is the Christ and that the scriptures, including the Book of Mormon, point us unto Him. Have a blessed day!
![]() |
| One last district meeting. Here's the district in order of mission age: E. Hintze, E. Petersen, Sis. Matthews, Sis. Bateman, E. Bingham, me, E. Winger, E. Peck. |
![]() |
| "You know you're in the South when": Even your laces can be "phatt". |
With love,
Elder Schank
North Carolina Raleigh Mission
6508 Falls of Neuse, Ste. 100
Raleigh, NC 27615
United States

